Friday, August 22, 2008

90's Flashback

Isn't it amazing how a song can bring you back to the past? Just like that.

Long forgotten feelings (and lyrics) resurface and suddenly you're 16 again. Cheated on by your boyfriend and driving around town in your 8-cylinder Chevy Malibu screaming along to your cassette stereo which blares Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name."

It's the closest thing to time travel we have.

Some times when I hear certain songs/voices I even have an olfactory memory. Smells come back to me. Yeah, I'm weird that way. One of my ex's once said to me that "it was nice to smell me again" after we hadn't seen each other for a month or so (I was in Chicago while he finished college in Ohio). I still think that's romantic in a very visceral way.

But I digress...

Downtown LA's Pershing Square had these fantastic free concerts this summer and on Wednesday night we saw The Gin Blossoms. I have no idea what happened to them after their top selling album - New Miserable Experience - with all kinds of hits - "Alison Road," "Found Out About You," "Until I Fall Away" and the big one ""Hey, Jealousy!"

The singer's voice is just as melodic and unique and emotive as always. It took us all back and we realized we knew all the words to every song! Even though we had that CD (upgraded from cassette) stashed away for over a decade. Holy shit!

And on that note - here's "Hey Jealousy" - bet you know all the words still too ;)

Oops - YouTube's disabled all the embedding for the Gin Blossoms videos so go to youtube and look 'em up - you won't regret it!!!

No comments: